Complaints Procedure

Sometimes events occur at school that parents, students, or staff members may have issues with. Ideally, and initially, those involved should engage in dialogue to address the concerns. Fortunately, in most cases, a solution can be reached through conversation. However, if this is not possible, there is the option to file a complaint.

In our school guide, you will find information on how we handle complaints. You will also find the name and contact details of our internal contact person. If you need more information, we refer you to the complaint procedure and/or complaint flowchart of the KSU (at this moment only in Dutch).

For complaints regarding discrimination, radicalization, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, serious physical violence, or psychological violence (bullying), you can also contact a confidential advisor from the Inspection Service. The confidential advisor provides advice and support for these types of complaints. Students, teachers, parents, and other parties involved can seek assistance from the confidential advisor. In cases of suspected sexual abuse, schools are legally obligated to contact the confidential advisor. The confidential advisors can be reached by phone at 0900-1113111.